Tuesday, October 12, 2010

You put your left foot in ... and you shake it all about.

Well, it's official, by the age of three and a half, Oliver will have had both knees replaced.  Poor little guy.  Turns out that it was the OTHER knee (left) that blew out. The original knee (right) that had surgery is holding on strong and looks good in x-rays.

A little background on Oliver's condition.  Bichon's are predisposed to a condition called a Luxating Patella.  This occurs when the groove that the knee cap sits in is either too small to hold the knee cap in place or over time becomes worn down and allows for the knee cap to move out of the groove from side to side.  Each time Oliver bends his knee the knee cap pops out of place, which is uncomfortable and mildly painful.  Without surgery Oliver could develop arthritis and lameness in his knee which would lead to his inability to walk.  Per doctors orders no running, jumping or roughhousing before or after the surgery for several weeks.  Oh boy, I am going to have my hands full!

And on a side note, I have decided to re-infure my left foot as well.  You may remember my year long battle with a stress fracture and the infamous "boot" that I had to wear.  I guess Jared has had me doing too much housework barefoot because the injury is back, but in a different location on my foot.  Ugh!

No comments: